Thursday, 3 May 2012

Thrifty

OK all of this is probably going to sound very patronising or obvious to most people but I’ve found out some people I know really didn’t know all the ways of the ‘thrift’ so thought I’d do this post.
I don’t claim to be some amazing thrifter or ones of the ‘weirds’ that goes through bin bags looking for ‘second hand food’ but I do like to think I’m a reasonably thrifty shopper. This isn’t going to turn into a fashion/ shopping thing, more a “where to get bargains in as many places as possible” thing

Ok first subject: Food
This includes restaurants, cafes, supermarkets….
Right first off if you find yourself in train stations too much of the time (like myself!) and sometimes feel peckish, get yourself a Bite card! Best card ever, it gets 20% off most train food outlets (BK, Cornish pasties, Camden food co., Upper crust etc) any time of the day and its FREE!
Next get as many loyalty cards as possible for, yes it makes your purse/wallet fat but you get points=free stuff! Tesco Clubcard, Nectar, Costa and subway have one too!
Finally for the food section, sign up to online vouchers such as Prezzo and  Pizza Express have their own vouchers on their website, for most others such as Cafe Rouge, Zizzi’s, Strada, Ask, GBK… sign up to website such as discount vouchers or voucher codes.

Next section; General retail shopping
The above mentioned discount vouchers or voucher codes are also vital to this section so it’s really helpful to do, as they have discounts for New Look, Oasis, Marks & Spencers, The Body shop, Figleaves, Dorothy Perkins, Burtons etc.
Once thats done, get yourself loyalty cards for shops that do them, Boots, Superdrug, Waterstones are a few I know of.
Also if you are a student get yourself an account on Student beans if you haven’t already; many many deals on there such as 2 for 1 cineworld tickets. And also get yourself an NUS card; discounts at all the arcadia group stores, Yo sushi, Asos, Amazon, Mcdonalds etc.

Online shopping:
If you have time on your hands and a bit of patience I can’t stress enough the importance of SHOPPING AROUND! If there is something you need, say a new DVD, do not go straight to the obvious, (amazon, HMV, Play) and assume these are the cheapest. Two very helpful websites I’ve found in these searches are
and
For most other things, if on a website that sells something you want, it sounds obvious and I’m sure most of you are clever enough to do it, but search the company/brand and ‘discount +date’ you’ll be amazed what you can find.

Thanks for reading, I’m sure most of you are very shopping savvy and already knew these things but this is for the 1% that must have been busy the day the UK became a discount-happy land. Happy Shopping!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you