Wednesday, 6 June 2012

Tiananmen Square protests

Two days ago marked the anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing, China. The iconic image from that day of one student, alone standing infront of the tanks:



Not a long post today, just short little factoids of the protests.
The causes;  Death of Hu Yaobang (a reformer and liberalist), Inflation, Political corruption of the Chinese Communist party, lack of career prospects, and the fall of Communism in Eastern Europe.
Two main opposing sides; The Communist party of China & The People’s Lberation Army against the University students, Factory workers and Liberalists/Democrats.
The End results were; the Army intervening, protests suppressed, reforms to make a free Market in China delayed.
The number of deaths varies; from the Chinese Red Cross stating 2,600 dead (however not inside the square) to the Chinese Goverments figure of 241 deaths. It is clear from these difference and the fact the Chinese goverment has attempted to censor this incident ever since that we cannot trust the figure the goverment gives.

2 comments :

  1. So glad I found someone who posted about this anniversary, I'm so fascinated by Chinese history and especially Deng Xiaoping's influence, thanks for the post! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you thats so nice, no need to thank me :) I love chinese history too (but a bit further back, less Communist party more Ch'ing/Ming/Yuan dynasties!) x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you