Tuesday, 3 July 2012

The Fourth of July; Independence day

So tomorrow marks the 236th anniversary of the publication of the Declaration of Independence (of the USA from Great Britain) in 1776. As I was never able to do a Jubilee post I thought I'd jump on the Independence day bandwagon and do a quick post about that!
Independence Day is a patriotic holiday celebrated by Americans worldwide. ©iStockphoto.com/fstop123

It is is a federal holiday in the USA. If July 4th is a Saturday, it is observed on Friday, July 3rd. If July 4th is a Sunday, it is observed on Monday, July 5th. As it is a public event there are usually fireworks, parades, shows and disruption to transport!

USA, Chicago, IL, September 13, 2009. The neighborhood of "La Villita," 
Some quick facts;
  • In 1775, people in New England began fighting the British for their independence. 
  • On July 2, 1776, the Congress secretly voted for independence from Great Britain. The Declaration of Independence was first published two days later on July 4, 1776.
  •  The first public reading of the Declaration of Independence was on July 8, 1776. Delegates began to sign the Declaration of Independence on August 2, 1776. 
  • In 1870, Independence Day was made an unpaid holiday for federal employees. In 1941, it became a paid holiday for them.
  • However we must not forget the Native Americans whom the declaration did not apply to at the time as they were considered 'enemies' or allies of the British. They were ignored for the most part!
So there you are some quick facts on what I'm sure will be big celebrations tomorrow over in America. Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Please comment/subscribe if you liked this post, thanks! x

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you