Thursday, 26 July 2012

Olympic opening ceremony

Tomorrow at 9pm will see the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics.  I have not really been that fussed about the Olympics coming to London and found it an annoyance rather than anything else. As a commuter to London, the continuous 'improvements' they've attempted to make have disrupted many of my journeys!
Anyway much as I don't like them it's still the third time the summer Olympics would have ever been hosted by the UK since it began in 1896. We hosted previously in 1908 and 1948, we would have hosted in 1944 but this was cancelled due to the Second World War- so I thought I'd do a short post on it.

The opening ceremony, for us will be named 'Isles of wonder' and is an expression of director Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire). It celebrates 'the best of the host nation' and will feature a parade and the entrance of the Olympic flame. The Olympic flame is a tradition carried on from the Ancient games in Greece, and the ritual of lighting it has stayed the same too; it is lit from the sun's rays at the Temple of Hera in Olympia, and then after a short relay around Greece it is handed over to the new host city at a ceremony in Athens, where it is then taken to the new host country.
Image from Runners Life uk

The London Olympic Stadium; located in Olympic Park, Stratford, in the Lower Lea Valley. It has the capacity to hold approx 80,000 people with the design being promoted as 'sustainable development' however this had been criticised and there have even been rumours of radioactive materials being buried decades ago when the site was a landfill site.
Image from Sports Beat uk
The London Olympic Village, containing 3,300 apartments and 17,320 beds. It's also said to provide each athlete with 170 sq ft floor space! It was meant to be 25% larger but there were difficulties in attaining funds due to it being publicly funded. However this is only for London based athletes.
Image taken from Guardian website
I hate the logo, personally, and I'm sure I'm not alone in my hatred. It's been likened to a 'broken Swastika' and Lisa Simpson (of The Simpsons) giving London a blowjob. I think its terrible and shows a very poor effort form whoever designed it! It's supposed to be 'modern' and 'brand savvy' to 'young people'. If that's the case I find that extremely patronising!

Anyway rant over, brief sum up of the Olympics, hope it wasn't too long. Are any of you planning on watching the Olympics (either on Tv or in a stadium)? Are you a fan or just find it an inconvenience?

Thanks for reading, please comment/ subscribe if you liked this post
p.s If you are new or a regular reader I would love to know what kind of posts you prefer or want to see? Please comment, or contact me on twitter @A_T_G_N_W_T as it would be lovely to hear from you and what you enjoy reading :)

8 comments :

  1. the whole opening ceremony sounds amazing :) and I really like the name "isle of wonder" so true :)
    in btw you have a really nice blog, dear. keep up the amazing work!

    xoxo FlirtingwithFashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) That's so nice of you to say! I liked the name too, I think the opening ceremony is the only part I'll like. I'm not big on sports!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  2. can't wait to see it :)!
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. very exciting =)
    Please support my up and coming blog about life and fashion in Los Angeles by following it on Bloglovin ;) I will follow back ;)

    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by, yes I'll definitely check out your blog :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. I'm all for the Olympics but I'm not a fan of that logo either!
    I'm a new follower btw, it'd be great if you could drop by my blog too!^^ I've done an OOTD related to the London Games:)
    www.the-bellepoque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the opening ceremony, apart from that I only really want to watch Usain Bolt :) Thanks for stopping by, I'll definitely check out your blog
      Daniella x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you