Wednesday, 15 August 2012

Addicted to.. 'Man vs. food'

I have recently become addicted to a tv show, from the USA travel channel (but aired in the UK on Dave) called Man vs. food, presented by actor and food critic Adam Richman:
Image from The Guardian June 16 2012 Stuart Heritage Interview with Adam:  

Basically he travels across the USA in search of good quality food, and lots of it. Every episode involves Adam attempting a challenge in whatever city he's ventured to, normally its sheer size that's the challenge (think 72oz steak with all the trimmings) but sometimes its spice (think Habenero chillies, Wasabi, Scotch bonnet etc.). It's not usually aimed at vegetarians ( there's a LOT of meat) or people on diets (see previous), but I love watching it!
Here's some great challenges he's done:


The OMFG Burger: at Lindy's on 4th, Tucson.
$24.99
Nine 1/3 lb. patties (3 lbs.) of meat with cheddar and swiss, lettuce, tomato, onion & Lindy’s sauce. Eat the meal in 30 mins you go up on the Hall of Fame, 20mins and it's free too!






The Ultimate Slider Challenge: at Chompies, Phoenix, Arizona.
$39.95
One dozen of their Original Jewish Sliders filled with moist lean brisket, mini potato pancakes, and Jack cheese. Served with a side of brown gravy and topped with our home made onion rings. 5 lbs.  Complete in 30 mins and you go on on the Hall of Fame and it's free too.

http://www.chompies.com/menu2.php




The Carnivore Pizza Challenge: at The Big Pie in the Sky, Atlanta, Georgia.
11 lbs. of carnivorous pizza, Two people are needed to complete the challenge and have to pay $50 to compete, but if they win in under an hour they get $250 cash! And their name on the Hall of Fame- of course.

And after seeing all these great USA challenges I decided to look for some in the UK.....

I found a Humongous steak challenge- 72 oz of Rump steak to be exact, and if that wasn't enough it's served with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and chips! I found this at The Green Man Six Mile bottom just outside of Haverhill, Suffolk. The challenge costs £60 if you fail to finish it within 1 hour!

Another one I found was from the Red Dog Saloon in Hoxton, London. They have two challenges; The Hot wings challenge (chicken wings made with Naga Viper chillis) for only £8.50 or The Devastator challenge which only reads as 'ask server for details' however I found that the challenge is: 18oz minced beef, 200g pulled pork, six slices of cheese, 150g (six rashers) of bacon, one burger bun, a portion of fries, 50g coleslaw, dollop of Red Dog and Kansas burger sauce), a milkshake (five scoops of vanilla ice cream with 150ml milk). Unfortunately there's no price given!

I also found Burgers at Blacks offer 'The Beast'! Europe's largest burger challenge, which consists of '7 Ib of prime beef encased in a 6Ib bap, with mayo & tomato relish, 9 slices of Mature cheddar & 9 rashers of bacon, garnished with lettuce & tomatoes. It comes with a Ib of chips and a milkshake' it costs £50 but if completed within the hour it's free and you get a t-shirt, fail and you go on the Wall of shame!

I love this show and yes it is a tad wasteful and gluttonous but it's fun to watch and I hope more places in the UK offer challenges! Me and my friends visited an Indian restaurant a few weeks ago to take on their 'gourmet night' offer it wasn't a'challenge' but we found it challenging; a main, rice, side and starter-each! Here's what the table looked like

Do any of you watch man vs. food? Or know of any food challenges in the UK? I'd love to know of more!
Thanks for reading, please comment/ subscribe if you liked this post :)

32 comments :

  1. Love Man vs Food and Epic Meal Time ... will have to check out Red Dog Saloon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like epic meal time the you should type 'Swedish meal time' into youtube! They're so funny; basically taking the piss out of epic meal time and playing on Swedish stereotypes. My favourite thing to watch on youtube :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  2. I love this show! a German channel started to show it and I became addcited right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too, so addictive
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. Man vs Food is my guilty pleasure, I have eyes bigger than my belly so am in awe of how much he can fit in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love it, and it's amazing how much he can eat and a wonder he's not bigger!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. omg..i love this show! he is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hope he comes to the UK to do a show- or Europe :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. Ha - I can't quite get over the OMFG burger! That's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's huge isn't it? Don't think I could even do have that size
      Daniella x

      Delete
  6. i love this show! me and my other half watch it loads :)
    some of the things look soooo yummy but i dunno how he does it lol.. xx

    xtiffyxx - reviews, opinions & life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it always makes me feel hungry watching it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. I watch that show all the time!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, best thing to watch on a lazy sunday afternoon
      Daniella x

      Delete
  8. This how grosses me out but I can't help but be enticed to watch it! It has the type of pull to it doesn't it hehe

    http://www.tstyledme.com

    Tien xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that too, some of the combinations of ingredients the Americans do grosses me out, and the deep frying of stuff!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  9. thank you so much for your lovely words! :)
    great post!

    xx, rebecca
    awayinparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this show! followed you, hope you can follow back! http://xxxloveisbeautyxxx.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite thing to watch (apart from come dine with me!)
      Thanks I'll definitely stop by your blog
      Daniella x

      Delete
  11. haha I love your blog title!! I love Man V. Food too!! Love his other shows too! Love your blog! Want to follow each other!?

    -Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for stopping by. Ill check out you blog
      Daniella x

      Delete
  12. Love that show! :D

    http://sindy-ng.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This show is definitely my guilt pleasure too! Makes me wish of taken more advantage of the amazing (and by amazing I of course mean fattening) food over in the states when I was last there x

    josieowen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to go there and do a mini tour round a state or something of all the places he's been. It would be nice to attempt one challenge :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  14. Uuugh wow I could never eat that much!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could either, well most of the things he eats!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Haha me too, unless I've just eaten in which case I feel kind of sicky!
      Daniella x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you