Sunday, 11 November 2012

Travel Destinations: San Francisco

Unfortunately this isn't somewhere I can talk about personally; as I've never been! I've always wanted to go, and have known others that have, my dad used to work out there a lot, the boyfriend lived out there for a bit, friends have been there on holiday. I've wanted to go for years!
This image was borrowed from this amazing blog 'Lost in the 415' (hope they don't mind) Go check them out, they're great!
Right so after having a google, I've found out there's 15 general neighbourhoods, of these I already knew of; Chinatown, Union Square, Haight-Ashbury, Marina and Golden Gate park (the one I'm sure everyone knows of). The currency is US dollars (obviously), apparently it's usually breezy and can get kind of foggy, it's never cold, cold. This is probably due to it being quite north on the Californian coast.
Its famous for it's liberal-ness and the fact that the gay 'movement' or 'acceptance' (don't want to be politically incorrect here or anything- but you get what I mean right? Harvey Milk and that?) pretty much began here. It's also well known for it's liberal outlook on drugs, particularly Marijuana.
Image was taken from the Lehighvalleylive website
Alcatraz, the famous federal prison that once held Al Capone, now just a tourist attraction. An island, just over a mile away from Fisherman's Wharf, it's a definite 'must see' and on my list for when I visit.
Next place everyone says to visit is The Golden Gate Bridge, one of the most famous landmarks of San Francisco and I'm sure recognised by many (it was in the latest planet of the apes film) It carries 6 lanes and has been open nearly 80 years! So it's huge and old! I really want to go there and visit Marhsall beach (in the photo)
Image taken from here http://www.flickriver.com/photos/canbalci/popular-interesting/
Then there's the other must visit landmarks like Haight-Ashbury, a busy street full of cafes and shops, perfect for people watching and sounds like vintage shopper's dream. The actual neighbourhood of Haight-Ashbury is famous for it's bands such as Janis Joplin and for it's free love, tie-dye, hippyness back in the sixties. Near this neighbourhood is 'Golden gate park' a place I've heard a lot about and where musicians and artists sometimes play and there's also a lot of roller skaters? Both places are on my list to visit!

Pier 39, it's not very high on lists of places to visit, but it is on mine. It's famous for the amazing sea views it offers, the sea lions and the 'Aquarium of the Bay' (where the bf used to work). This pier sounds fun, it is a bit out of the way  and tacky- but good for bars?
Taken from http://www.reisewut.com/westcoast06/westcoast06-14.html
There's lot of other places, especially night life places I don't know about, one other thing worth mentioning that I've heard it fun to do is to go the Westin- St. Francis Hotel in Union Square and travel up the Glass Elevators ( fun in it's own right, right?) and you will see the view, shown in the first photo (taken from the 'Lost in the 415 blog).
One last thing- I want to go to a Ball game! At AT&T park and see the S.|F. giants :)
Image taken from http://www.time.com/time/travel/cityguide/article/0,31489,1845230_1845056_1845049,00.html
Thanks for reading, if you've been to San Francisco and have any tips or must see places to visit I'd love to know, or maybe you've heard from someone where to go? If you have been, did you like it?
Hopefuly I'll be able to update this sometime in the future with my own photos and tales :)

52 comments :

  1. love your blog!

    theistyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go! It is a fab place to visit. *memories*

    Kim x

    beautyandfashionsavvy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah jealous! I really want to, it's just money and time are issues atm :(
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. wow such beautiful place!
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, really hope I can visit it sometime :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. omg , it looks so wonderful !
    awesome images

    http://brummelandme.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, looks lovely doens't it!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. I really want to go one day, looks amazing! x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too- hopefully soon :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  6. I have always wanted to go to San Fran, its such a unique and lively place and I've always heard great things about it!

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great things about it, I really hope I get to visit one day :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They are really good aren't they, hope I can go there sometime and take some of my own :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  8. San Francisco is such a beautiful place! I wish I could visit. Great post! xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. heey,
    Beautiful photos!!!!!!
    i'm following, follow me??
    and my twitter too?? :3
    thanks! XoXo

    @_alicedias

    http://bringit-up.blogspot.com.br

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks, the photos are lovely, hopefully I can go there one day and take some of my own :)

      Delete
  10. how lucky ! San Francisco must be a beautiful place to visit ..

    xx Liyana
    LiyanasAdvice.blogspot.com

    PS : I just wanted to let you know that I'm having a MAC lipstick giveaway on my blog to celebrate my first month of blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get to visit it one day :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  11. I want to go!! (I have been once but it was just a stop-over really and I want to explore it all!) I hope you get to go one day :)

    http://shopaholiconashoestring.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to go there soon! It looks amazing
      Daniella x

      Delete
  12. Great post,i would love to visit San Francisco.
    Ive nominated you for a liebster award. Check it out here http://www.elizakklozet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and thank you for nominating me :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  13. This is on my list of places I'd love to visit for sure!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, hopefully one day :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  14. Oh how I miss CHICAGO
    I went there last June! It was amazing!

    I hate La now lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I've only been to Chicago once when I was little, but I remember loving it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  15. I want to visit it so badly! xx
    http://www.surfaddictfashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never visited SF either but would love to one day too.

    http://arrceebee.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear so many amazing things about it and it makes me want to go more! Hopefully one day :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  17. This is on my list of places to visit too, ever since I was little. I don't even remember why I wanted to visit in the first place but this post has given me a whole load of new reasons haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think its been on mine ever since I got a pretty postcard from there, and over the years I've got more and more reasons :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  18. San Fran is definitely on my list of places to go! The only problem is my list is HUGE. If only I were rich... ;)

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I can feel my list growing everyday, so many places I want to go, this is near the top though :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  19. Ah I'd love to visit San Fran, my sister went two summers in a row and had an amazing time

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah jealous :) Hopefully one day!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  20. Very cool post and pics. For some reason i've always wanted to see Seattle. I'm not sure why though haha. Just going to America would be awesome enough for me though.
    And i completely agree with your little disclaimer down the bottom, about not following for a follow. Liking a blog should be the reason why. Didnt come across as negative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Seattle sounds fun- I always associate it with Frasier :)
      Thanks- I just got so fed up of those comments I decided I had to say something!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  21. This is somewhere I've always wanted to go to!!

    Please check out my latest post if you have a few moments to spare :)

    Helen

    x

    www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  22. the pictures look amazing! my family have been to san francisco but i never have and im dying to go!

    http://monster-diaries.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I know so many people that have gone and now I really want to!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  23. Great post!

    I spent the summer in Los Angeles and went on trip to San Fran for a week... one thing to note that is gets freezing there! I remember at night literally having to go out and buy a bigger jacket, I though it was supposed to be California?!

    Apart from that it truly is beautiful, just wish I managed to grab a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge like the one you found, whenever I went past it was engulfed in mist and fog although this did make my pictures come out quite pretty.

    If you end up going make sure to check out 'Just for you' cafe on 22nd street - the breakfast is to die for!

    www.SamuelJamesMorris.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aw so jealous I really want to go! I think the fog definitely adds some kind of drama to the bridge! I bet it looks lovely in your photos
      I'll make a note to bring a jacket- and check out 'Just for you' (if I ever go) Thanks for the recommendation
      Daniella x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you