Friday, 2 November 2012

Winter coat dilemma?

Winter is coming (GOT!) and it’s time to get sorted for the cold, fog, mist, rain, sleet & snow-all lovely features of the British weather! So I've put together some coat do's and don't's and my dilemma; I can't pick just one! But with a student budget I'm going to have to!

Woolly or faux fur thick patches for pockets, collars and hems- standing out from the rest of the material and just asking to be squeezed, grope or stroked! Not only are these sorts of coats being seen on the catwalk, but you can spruce up last year’s coat by adding some thick woollen or imitation fur trim to your pockets, lapels or hems. You can even, if you are a whizz with a sewing machine, completely remove pockets from a thicker jacket and attach them to the coat, giving you a winter coat that is exclusive to you and still fashionable
But don’t forget the important thing when choosing and clothes- remember that just because it looks good on Kate Moss -or Middleton(!), it won’t necessarily look good on you! Choose a coat that’s right for you and your body shape, not just right for the fashion designers and glossy magazines! 
At the moment there's a military theme emerging, with some women’s winter coats bearing epaulets, coloured charcoal grey, dark blue and black. They can have a more formal square cut, especially around the lapels, as befits something to be worn on parade- both the parade ground and the fashion parade! These coats do look great on those of us who are average or taller height, but can go out of fashion very quickly, and next year may be left hanging in the wardrobe gathering dust!

A bright cherry red or brick red, or rust winter coat will also be a favourite- and look stunning with pale brown, grey off-white or cream skirts, jumpers or blouses. 

Finally, the length of the coat? Knee to thigh length coats are versatile and look good on all body shapes. It also means that you can probably get it out next winter, and still look good. Choose a colour that isn’t distinctive totally tied in to this winter’s “fashionable” colours- one that will not be identifiable next year as “so last year!” Popular colours that should last are purple and mauve, camel, light tan and mid to dark greens

I'm having a real struggle finding a winter coat, so I included a few below that I'm looking at, let me know which one's your favourite?
All Warehouse: 1) Melton Trench £70  2) Two Tone Wrap £95  3) Piped Detail Mac £85  4)  Ovoid coat £85
 Warehouse also do 20% student discount at the moment!
Thanks for reading, are you having trouble finding a winter coat? Too many to choose from, or not a fan of the styles at the moment?

33 comments :

  1. I like the coat from Ovoid the most, but it's all down to personal preference and what you think will go with most of your clothes!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like that one, a lot. It's so hard choosing! Thanks for your help!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  2. I always struggle to pick a winter coat, there are too many nice ones!

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and then when I think I've found the right one, I buy it and a better one comes along!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. I'm completely in love with that Ovoid coat! But I think I've gone well overboard on that wine colour at the moment haha. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, that's why I'm unsure.
      Wish I could afford them all :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. don't ask me, cus i always have dilemma if it goes about clothes so i'm not good :(
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear- sounds just like me! :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. From the last collage I like the first one, That's my fave
    Follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one looks really cosy for winter and I love the colour, thanks for your help!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  6. I always love a good mac so I'd be drawn to no.3 but on a more practical side for winter it would have to be no.4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love the trench too! Wish I didn't have to be practical and lived somewhere a bit warmer!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. I always find it hard to pick a coat, I like number4!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that seems to be the popular one at the moment :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  8. I absolutely adore the 2nd and 4th. I probably would go for the 4th ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that ones the winner :) Everyone seems to like it
      Daniella x

      Delete
  9. beautiful blog.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  10. i absolutly love your blog, becaue i really like to get inspired by all the in fashion cloth you post about here :)

    Brigita r.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm definitely having trouble finding a nice new coat, the fit is never right! Hopefully will find one soon. Thanks for dropping by and commenting :)

    Sita xx
    http://buttonsapart.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that same problem, if I like the style it never seems to fit!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  12. I've been wearing my Burberry Winter coat for the last 3 Winters and haven't felt the need to update. It was a pricey purchase but to be honest it was definitely worth it (i.e not having to buy a new Winter coat each year) and it was 100% wool which kept me warm throughout snow, sleet and zero temperatures in London. I always advise to go for coats that have a high wool percentage over yearly trends

    www.tstyledme.com

    Tien xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to buy a lovely investment piece coat like a Burberry that could see me through many winters :) Thanks for the tip about 100& wool!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  13. I hate buying coats... I always get one and then find one i prefer! Annoying!
    LaceyLoves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too- story of my life :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  14. Wow. I Love it! You have so so great blog! <3

    Would You like to follow each other? :)
    http://linde-lo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Picking a coat is even worse than jeans shopping which i personally can't stand!

    I would love to nominate you for the Liebster Blog Award!
    Click on the link to find out more its simple and a great way to find new blogs!

    http://bootandbirds.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/7-11-12.html

    Let me know what you think!
    Sinead x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find coats really hard to buy, I think because they have to go with so many things it's so hard!
      Thanks!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  16. Cool color coats with awesome styles! stay warm and comfortable with women's winter jackets in awesome colors and styles!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the first coat! What annoys me about a lot of winter coats is that they dont have hoods D: whats the point?! xox

    My Blog : The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the purple color coat. It looks stunning and fabulous. I would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you