Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Valentines.

So in two days it's Valentines day, named after St. Valentine a saint who nobody quite knows what he did or why he was killed.
A brief history is that we know that he was killed and February 14th is to commemorate he death - but many believe this may have just been the Catholic church's attempt at 'Chritianizing' the pagan festival of Lupercalia (a fertility festival usually resulting in marriage) which was from February 13th-15th. The festival was outlawed and many years later the date became synonymous with 'love'. Valentines greetings (cards) go as far back as the middle ages and in the UK was widely celebrated from the 17th Century onwards. 

I don't really go in for the whole Valentines thing (I like any excuse to go for a fancy meal out though!), but I thought the history was quite interesting and I like poems, so I've picked out a pretty love poem:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being an Ideal Grace.

I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old grief's, and with my childhood's faith.

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,--I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!-- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

How do I love thee? - by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Thanks for reading :)  What are you all doing, whether single or taken? Or do you count it as 'just another day'?

34 comments :

  1. beautiful :))

    follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo I've learnt something new! :D I'm going out for a meal followed by a weekend away. I don't normally do anything- I'm being very spoilt this year!
    http://lardygrub.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds lovely, hope you had a lovely time
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. It's just another day for me! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I was at uni all day, so nothing special
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. Lovely poem Daniella. It's just another day for me too. But hopefully a nice day to spread some love around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you had a nice day
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. just another day for me lol
    id rather enjoy the half price chocolate the next day :)

    BreezeyBee Blog
    xoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Ah that's such a good idea
      Daniella x

      Delete
  6. I prefer Pancake Day ;) valentines is alright too though!

    I followed you!
    www.beautybook13.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a massive fan of pancakes, but eating them one day a year is fine :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. Just another day for me! Got some flowers last week, so I don't need any new ones tomorrow ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a lovely day anyways!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  8. This is so cute!

    A little bit Unique

    x

    Oh and I'm running a giveaway, if you want to pop over and have a nosey! Giveaway here


    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that poem, I studied it when I did my GCSE's. It's just another day for me (sobsob) hope you have a lovely day though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aq hope you had a lovely day anyway! It was for me too, just spent it a uni (fun fun!)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  10. Thanks for your comment on my blog, now following you =)
    The poem is beautiful, and I didn't know the history of the day! I don't like to put much stock in Valentine's Day, single or not I find it very tacky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :) I thought it was such a lovely poem too! I do find most things in the shops regarding valentines day are very tack-tastic!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  11. My boyf is whisking me off to Cardiff! I'm such a sucker, I looove it & laser cut cards.

    Tara
    The Style Rawr!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds fancy! Hope you have a lovely time
      Daniella x

      Delete
  12. Such a cute post :) I'm not a huge fan, not bothered either way tbh! Me and my fella are going out for a meal with 7 of our other friends, just as a big group thing, will be fun I think! Thanks for visiting my blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that sounds fun though- hope you had a lovely meal :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  13. Lovely poem.
    I'm taken but spending today alone because my boyfriend lives 140 miles away from me! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aw hope you still had a lovely day! It was just another normal day for me really
      Daniella x

      Delete
  14. Today was really just another day for me, but I love that you told the history of the day! Beautiful post!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought the history was quite interesting too :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  15. Great post! I'm not big on the whole Valentine's day either, but it's nice to see how the day came to be. xo

    http://www.jenventure.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, I know- thought it was quite interesting :)
      Daniella

      Delete
  16. I love Valentine's Day <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a lovely day!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  17. really loved the poem :)
    oh and if you like you could check out my giveaway.
    you can check it here!

    Chiara♥
    xmisschiarax.blogspot.be

    BLOG | Instagram | Polyvore | bloglovin' | Pinterest | WeHeartIt

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is odd that the majority of us celebrate a day we actually don't know much about... I had no idea! I love that poem, I remember studying it in school! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you