Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Travel Destinations: Amsterdam

I went to Amstedam two years ago and loved it! I went just before New Years Eve so it was freezing but I still had lots of fun. It is full of tourists who are there for the obvious reasons; the coffeeshops, the red lights, the sex shops, and some for the more 'cultured' tourist traps; the Heineken experience museum, Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank's house.

The currency is Euros, and the language is Dutch. But there are so many tourists there that you'd be hard pressed to find many people that didn't speak even a little English. When I was there there were also masses of Chinese, Japanese and Russian/Eastern European tourists so I'd imagine some Dutch people in Amsterdam might speak some of these languages too. 
The airport is Schipol, which is about a 20 minute train journey from Centraal Train Station- the main station in Amsterdam. There is so much do to there from Madame Tussaud's to Anne Frank's Huis, to all the museums housing the Old Master's artwork, to ice skating (in the winter) in Vondelpark. In the summer, there are the maze of canals to walk around or even hire a pedal boat to see Amsterdam. There are lots of markets too for all the thrifty rummagers out there, in different districts, such as Dappermarkt in Oost or Lindenmarkt in Jordaan. I loved the Jordaan district too for it's chic (but expensive) shops and amazing restaurants all varying in price from the reasonable to ridiculous.

Of course though you wouldn't go to London and not visit Big Ben, or Rome and not see the Coliseum, just as you wouldn't go to Amsterdam and not have a cheeky wander around the Red Light district (or a visit to a coffeeshop if you're that way inclined!). Walking round the Red Light district has to be one of the most surreal experiences of my life. I don't think word can describe how strange it is seeing these semi-naked women in windows acting just as casually as though it was a normal day 'at the office'. And the bright red lights are unmistakable. It really is strange, but worth seeing in my opinion. And the coffee shops, if that is something you're interested in is also a very surreal experience; ordering Marijuana as though you were ordering a latte at starbucks!!

I really want to go again, my friends are going in September and I'm jels! But hopefully I can go again soon. Have any of you been to Amsterdam or are planing on going? What did you think if you've been?

32 comments :

  1. Ahhh I really want to go to Amsterdam soon! It looks great :) xoxo

    The perks of being a hipster

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really nice, I'd love to go back in the summertime, as it was a but cold when I went :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  2. I'd love to visit Amsterdam, definitely on my list of places to go! Don't think I could handle the red light district though, I'd probably die of laughter haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it was really weird and funny, and awkward! We saw a man walk into a ladys room and watch the curtains close and knew what was happening :s
      Daniella x

      Delete
  3. I really want to go to amsterdam it looks so interesting!

    http://luclily.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great, I want to go back soon!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. I went to Amsterdam YEARS ago and loved it! As you say the red light district is so surreal... and then the next you're in the overwhelmingly emotional Anne Franks house....

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, and I loved the shops and the beautiful canals everywhere too!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. Looks like a great time!

    My UK beauty blog sale including nars, MAC, armani, clinique and more. http://talisatalksbeauty.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/massive-blog-sale-products-from-nars.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amsterdam looks great - it's on my top places to visit! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to go- its so great there, really want to go back!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. I'd love to go - hopefully one day! Love the pics :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to go! Thanks
      Daniella x

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had an amazing time... I would so love to to go to Amsterdam! xx

    Gemma | ♥ Miss Makeup Magpie ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I did :) Really want to go back, was too long ago now :s
      Daniella x

      Delete
  9. One day I'll go to Amsterdam! For now, it'll just be one of the cities on my list. :P


    http://between-friends-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get to go soon!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  10. i really want to go to amsterdam too. i heard (on the grapevine ^_^) that they do buckets of chicken wings.. as in kfc style bucket filled with chicken wings.. can you confirm hehe!?

    from Brigitte at // BlogLovin' | BreezeyBee Blog

    dont forget to enter my RiRi Woo Giveaway Here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha no sadly I can't confirm, I never had a bucket of chicken wings when I was there, I think you could get them from KFC there though??
      Daniella x

      Delete
  11. Nice post.. I want to go to anstadam too
    Maybe we can follow each other..!!
    keep in touch
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hope you get to go to Amsterdam soon
      Daniella x

      Delete
  12. This is one of those places that I would really love to visit! It sounds like you had the best time <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so great! I really want to go back and do all the things I didn't do!
      Daniella x

      Delete
  13. I love Amsterdam in your lens! I wish I could go there!<3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really want to go back
      Daniella x

      Delete
  14. Looks so gorgeous. Amazing photos!

    I nominated you for the Liebster Award btw :)

    http://yourteendiaries.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, will check it out.
      Daniella x

      Delete
  15. i've always wanted to go to amsterdam! on my travel hit-list :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I have one of those- Amsterdam's back on it though as I really want to go back :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  16. it's a really cool place! great pics ;)

    xoxo
    http://mademoizelle-eloise.blogspot.be/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I know. I really liked the atmosphere there
      Daniella x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you