Wednesday 6 March 2013

Sweet potato Gnocchi with Arrabbiata sauce

I'm back! Been away for a few weeks as uni work has been taking over my life a bit. I have a new recipe post (finally); I love arrabbiata sauce and will usually opt for it over penne at Italian restaurants. I've never really been a fan of gnocchi, but after making this sweet potato version- I love it!

Ingredients for 2 servings;
Gnocchi:
1 large sweet potato
150g plain flour
Nutmeg
Thyme
Salt
1 egg
Arrabbiata sauce:
2 tbsp tomato paste
250g chopped (tinned optional) tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
2 chopped chillies or chilli flakes/powder
handful of Black olives
1 small chopped onion
dash of red wine
1 or 2 tbsp of sugar (brown is better)
seasoning
Basil
olive oil

This is really quite easy to make' first you want to put the sweet potato(es) on some foil on a baking tray and in the oven, at 180C for about 30 mins or until the potato is soft. While that is cooking you can get started on the Arrabbiata sauce.
Start by chopping the onion and putting in a hot saucepan with some olive oil and the garlic cloves, and cooking until soft. Then add the mushrooms (this is not supposed to be in a traditional arrabbiata sauce but I love them!) and then the olives. The sauce should also have 1 or 2 small chillies or other peppers added but as I didn't have any in the house, my chilli powder has to substitute.

After that you want to add the basil, chilli powder, sugar, wine, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and seasoning to taste, adding the vinegar if you need to. And then turn the heat to medium and simmer for 10- 15 minutes- as the sauce thickens.

Now while the sauce cooks, your potato(es) should be ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 10 minutes, after this the skin should be able to be peeled off them using just your hands.
Place them in a large mixing bowl and get mashing and add the salt, nutmeg and thyme. once the potato feels cool enough (ie it won't cook the egg!) stir in a beaten egg.
After this you can start mixing in the flour a little at a time, so that it turns from a slopping consistency to more of a dough like in the photo below.

After that you can start rolling out the dough into long lines and cut pieces about 2cm long and carefully drop into salted boiling water and cook for 5-10 minutes or until the gnocchi float to the top.
Serve with the Arrabbiata sauce and some parmesan :)

Thanks for reading, do any of you have any good gnocchi recipes you could tell me, or any other sauces you prefer?

18 comments :

  1. Ooh, I'm gonna have to try this. I'm not a big fan of gnocchi either but I love sweet potato and this looks so tasty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I love sweet potato, hope you like it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  2. Ahhh looks so tasty! Definitely going to try this :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love gnocchi! This looks amazing and so delicious! Thanks for the step-by-step recipe, will definitely be trying this out :) x

    www.bowtiedbeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem- hope you like it if you try it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  4. This looks so lovely! I've never even heard of gnocchi haha I so need to broaden my food horizons and stop eating McDonalds! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I only knew it cause its all my friend ever orders ever ytime we eat in an Italian restaurant :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  5. This looks SO amazing! I've never had gnocchi before but I definitely want to try it <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you :) Hope you like it if you try it
      Daniella x

      Delete
  6. Ohh this looks so relish! I love gnocchi! :))

    XO,
    http://www.rosychicc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a massive fan of gnocchi, but I'm coming around to it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete
  7. it looks so delicious <3 i'm goona try it :)
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- hope you like it if you try it :)
      Daniella x

      Delete

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you