Wednesday 1 July 2015

Holiday reads, what I took with me

Back in October I went away for 10 or so days to Malta (it was so lovely there- check out my last post to read all about it) and I managed to get through three books while I was away which I'm quite pleased about as I haven't read much at home at all!
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
I was recommended this by my friend Kim (who occasionally reads this- so hi Kimmy, stop reading this!). It follows a family living in a castle which is falling down around them, and is narrated by Cassandra, the younger of the two daughters. As they live in poverty, a rich American family move into the estate and become their landlords, Rose, the eldest daughter, consequently falls in love with one of them and is proposed to. However it is now quite as simple as Cassandra also is in love with Rose's fiancée. I really enjoyed this book, although a little depressing at times, in a melancholy way, I couldn't put it down.

I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
This thriller from Terry Hayes is one I found hard to put down! 'Pilgrim' is just a codename for a wealthy man who was once a spy for US intelligence and anonymously wrote the definitive book on forensic criminal investigation. The tale then turns a bit darker after an NYPD detective tracks him down after finding a woman murdered in a hotel room. We then find 'Pilgrim' in a race against time to save America!

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
I've never read any of Murakami's books before, but had heard many good things. So I decided this book seemed right up my street after reading the blurb. The story of the main character, Watanabe, is somewhat depressing. He has great intentions but not much purpose in life and seems a bit... unaware. It's basically a 'coming of age' story set in the 1970's, and it focusses a lot on death, love and loneliness. I wouldn't want to say any more without giving the story away. But if this kind of novel interests you, definitely give it a go!


What have you read lately? I'm going away in a few months and would love some recommendations.
Have you read these, what did you think?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comments, I love reading all of them and really appreciate every comment I receive.

I DON'T do follow for follow' as it's rude and impersonal. So please DON'T ASK me to follow you! Leave your link and I always check out blog URLs left for me of my own accord and if I like a blog I'll follow anyway.
Hope this doesn't put anyone off reading my blog or come across as negative :)
Thank you